Investors often focus on direct emissions when evaluating the environmental impact of companies in the Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) sector. However, a recent report reveals that the indirect emissions associated with the supply chains of these giants are being significantly underplayed. This discrepancy raises concerns about the accuracy of investors’ assessments and highlights the need for a more comprehensive approach to measuring a company’s carbon footprint.
Direct emissions refer to the greenhouse gases emitted directly by a company’s own operations, such as manufacturing facilities or corporate headquarters. These emissions can be easily measured and reported by the company itself. Indirect emissions, on the other hand, are those generated throughout the entire supply chain, including the production, transportation, and storage of materials and products.
The report, released by the CDP (formerly the Carbon Disclosure Project), found that direct emissions accounted for only 17% of the total emissions associated with the FMCG sector. This means that the remaining 83% of emissions, often referred to as Scope 3 emissions, are being largely ignored by investors.
Scope 3 emissions have been traditionally considered difficult to measure and, therefore, are often excluded from company reporting and assessments. However, as the report points out, ignoring these emissions means overlooking a significant portion of a company’s environmental impact, particularly in industries with complex and vast supply chains like the FMCG sector.
The findings of the report are particularly concerning given the significant global contribution of the FMCG sector to greenhouse gas emissions. These companies are responsible for the production and distribution of everyday household items, such as food, beverages, and personal care products, which are consumed by billions of people worldwide. Their supply chains involve sourcing raw materials, processing, packaging, and transportation, all of which generate substantial emissions.
The underestimation of indirect emissions in the FMCG sector can lead to investors making inaccurate evaluations of a company’s sustainability performance. This carries financial risks, as companies with higher greenhouse gas emissions and poor supply chain management are more vulnerable to regulatory changes, reputational damage, and operational disruptions.
Furthermore, the report highlights that investors’ failure to adequately account for indirect emissions fails to provide the necessary incentives for FMCG giants to reduce their carbon footprint throughout the supply chain. By focusing solely on direct emissions, companies may feel less pressure to implement sustainable practices in their supply chain operations, leading to missed opportunities for significant emissions reductions.
To address this issue, the report calls for investors to encourage FMCG companies to disclose their Scope 3 emissions, enabling a comprehensive assessment of their environmental impact. It also suggests that investors should include indirect emissions in their analysis and decision-making processes, recognizing the potential risks and opportunities associated with sustainability performance throughout the entire supply chain.
Investors play a crucial role in holding companies accountable for their environmental impact and driving sustainability improvements. However, to accurately assess the carbon footprint of FMCG giants, it is necessary to consider both direct and indirect emissions. Only then can investors make informed decisions and incentivize companies to reduce their overall carbon footprint, contributing to a more sustainable future.
Unstoppable Private Websites – Ownership for lifetime. Live News Magazine. Own a private website for life with WebFi. Our private servers offer the best in security and performance,and our lifetime license means you'll never have to worry about renewing your hosting again.
Get your own Webfi space to host your website for a single donation that allows you to host your project for life without the need for recurring payments, You only pay for your domain annuities to your domain provider and that's it! LEARN MORE
The WEBFI algorithm collects the active news on the Internet and temporarily exposes it on this platform, both in written and video format. WEBFI Network - News Balance Security, does not show advertising in its contents, does not redirect to other sites, and filters any graphic content evaluated as insecure, sensitive, or private. In this way, we ensure that all visitors are informed without distraction and safely. The opinions and content issued on this platform do not necessarily reflect the opinion, philosophy, or vision of WEBFINET. We strongly believe in freedom of speech.