How to Manually Install Joomla Using cPanel
One of our students was having trouble installing Joomla in cPanel, so we created this tutorial for him.
This tutorial will cover setting up the database, the files, and the configuration of the Joomla install.
Step #1. Log into cPanel
- Go to yourdomain.com/cpanel
- Log in with the username and password. Hosting companies usually send an email with this info when you first sign up with them.
Step #2. Set up the database
- Click on the “MySQL Databases” icon
- Create a new database:
- Scroll down and create a new database user. Use the password generator for a good secure password. Save this password in a secure place. We’ll use it for an upcoming step.
- Assign the database user to the database:
- And give it all privileges:
- Go back to the cPanel home page.
Step #3. Set up the files
- Go to https://downloads.joomla.org/ and download the latest Joomla package:
- In cPanel, access File Manager:
- Access the public_html folder and click the Upload button.
- Or if needed, access a sub folder of the public_html folder if you’re setting up a test site and/or if another site is in the public_html folder.
- Upload the Joomla package that you downloaded previously:
- Select the package, then Extract it.
Step #4. Install Joomla
- Visit the domain of the website. If you upload the files to a subfolder, add the subfolder name to the end of the domain.
- You’ll see the Joomla installation script open.
- Fill in the fields, then click Next.
- Fill in the database user and user password that you created in step 1 of this tutorial.
- Fill in the database name as well.
- For both of the above, be sure to copy the full name (including the account prefix – i.e. the part before the underscore).
- The rest of the fields can be left at their defaults. If a connection can’t be made, ask your web host if any of these should be changed. In most cases, the default will work well though.
- Click Next when ready.
- It’s usually best to not install sample data.
- Click Install when ready.
- Congrats, you’ve just installed Joomla!
- If you’re setting up a multi-lingual site, use the “Extra steps: install languages” feature.
- Finally, use the “Remove installation folder” feature when done.
That’s all there is to it!
Now you can access your site at your domain. You can access the admin area at yourdomain.com/administrator
The quickest and simplest way to install Joomla! is with the Softaculous App Installer available in cPanel. Softaculous provides an easy, one-click installation that is the best choice for most website owners.
Log in to your HostPapa Dashboard and click My cPanel. Scroll down to the Software section and click Softaculous Apps Installer.
Expand the Portals/CMS menu and click Joomla. On the Overview tab, click Install Now.
In the setup section, enter the following details:
- Choose the version you want to install – In most cases, choose the default option, which is the latest stable version.
- Choose Protocol – If you use SSL on your site, choose https://.
- Choose Domain – If you have more than one domain, choose the correct domain.
- In Directory – To install Joomla! at the root of your site, leave this blank. To install in a subdirectory, enter the name of a subdirectory that you have not yet created. In our example, we’re installing in a subdirectory called joomla.
- Site Name – Enter the name of your site.
- Site Description – Enter a short description of your site.
- Import Sample Data – Choose whether to install sample data and what type.
- Admin Username – Enter a username for the admin user.
- Admin Password – Enter a strong password for the admin username.
- Real Name – Enter the admin user’s real name.
- Admin Email – Enter the email address of the admin user.
- Select Language – Select the correct language for the Joomla! back-end.
You can let Softaculous choose the database settings. If you want to manually enter these details along with upgrade, notification, and backup settings, click Advanced Options. When you’re finished entering settings, click Install.
When the installation is complete you’ll see a success message and links to your Joomla! site and Joomla! administrator back-end.
For information about how to set up Joomla!
E-COMMERCE LICENSE FREE 15 DAYS TRIAL
E-Commerce License FREE 15 DAYS TRIAL
To subscribe to E-Commerce License, SELECT YOUR FREE DOMAIN (TLD .com .net .org .info .us .club .pro or .link), ADD IT TO YOUR CART, CONFIRM YOUR DOMAIN, then at confirmation page select your subscription type.